Harlan Academic Team sets district championship record
The Harlan Elementary School academic team recently captured Kentucky Governors Cup District 121 top honors in record fashion. Scoring a school and district record 81 points, the Green Dragons were nearly perfect across all areas throughout the day.
Students compete in eight events, including five written assessment examinations in mathematics, science, social studies, language arts and arts/humanities. Additionally, there is an on-demand writing composition assessment, quick recall competition and a future problem solving event, which challenges teams of students to creatively address a hypothetical problem.
HES students came up three spots short of scoring the highest possible score of 88 total points. A perfect score is achieved when one school wins the Quick Recall and Future Problem Solving competition along with having students capture first, second and third place in the other six assessment areas.
The Dragons won the Quick Recall and Future Problem Solving competition, while taking first, second and third place in science, arts/humanities and composition. Students received first and second place in math, social studies and language arts.
This is the third consecutive district championship for Harlan Elementary School. They are coached by Brent Roy, Leanne Chasteen, Sierra Crow and Teresa Roy.
District 121 competitions are composed of Cawood, Harlan, Green Hills and James A. Cawood elementary schools. JACES was second overall with 21 points and Cawood Elementary taking third place overall with 14 points. Green Hills Elementary School also took home the Hume Sportsmanship Award.
Regional competition will be held at Bell Central on Feb. 29.
First, second and third place awards include:
• Quick Recall: First place – Harlan; second place – JACES; third place — Cawood.
• Future Problem Solving: First place – Harlan; second place — JACES.
• Math: First place — Cole Cornett (Harlan); second place — Michael Lyndsey (Harlan); third place – Thomas Daniels (JACES).
• Science: First place — Keenan Amro (Harlan); second place — Micah Shope (Harlan); third place — Grant Lee (Harlan).
• Social Studies: First place — Julianna Damaa (Harlan); second place — Colin Lay (Harlan); third place — Breanna Fultz (Cawood).
• Language Arts: First place — Gracie Hensley (Harlan); second place — Addison Lemar (Harlan); third place — Breanna Fultz (Cawood).
• Arts & Humanities: First place — Julianna Damaa (Harlan); second place — Michael Lyndsey (Harlan); third place — Carson Osborne (Harlan).
• Composition: First place — Rihanna Montanaro (Harlan); second place — Jenna Nguyen (Harlan); third place — Riley Card (Harlan).
Rosspoint Elementary School students are learning about the “highs and lows” of the stock market and investing. Principal Bryan Howard... read more