What’s Goin’ On
Published 4:46 pm Wednesday, March 24, 2021
The Harlan Enterprise will publish local events in the community calendar for free as space allows. We do not accept submissions via phone. All submissions should be emailed to email@example.com or dropped off at our office, 211 E. Central St., Ste. 102, Harlan. Submissions should be received no later than four business days prior to the event. If received in time, it will be published one or two days prior to the event. Announcements are also available at harlanenterprise.net
If your event has been canceled or rescheduled because of COVID-19, contact Emily Sargent for changes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Harlan County Amazing Race will be April 3, where locals will put their knowledge of puzzles, trivia and more to good use as they explore Harlan County in a challenging event. More information is available when calling the Harlan Center at 606-573-4495.
• Harlan Chows Down will take place April 7 to help support local restaurants. Contact the Harlan Center with any questions at 606-573-4495.
- The Harlan County Jeep Crawl is scheduled to take place April 9-10 in Cumberland. Follow the Dragon Slayer Hwy 160 on Facebook for updates and more information about this event.
- The Raven Rock 5k has also been slated for April 10 at Kingdom Come State Park. Go to runreg.com to register.
- College scholarships are available from the Robert E. Frazier Tri-City Area Charitable Foundation for Harlan County High School 2021 Seniors from the Tri-Cities area. You may complete an application from the website or the high school counselors office. The applications must be completed and turned into the counselors office by April 15 before the end of the day for review. For more information contact Bobbie Gothard at 606-524-4964.
- Celebrate Recovery United Harlan meetings at Harlan Baptist Church are canceled until further notice. There will be livestream lessons on Facebook at 6:30 p.m. Mondays. You must first ‘like’ the Facebook page (CRUnitedHarlan) to watch the broadcast. Contact Lauren Hendrickson with questions at 606-273-8681. Celebrate Recovery is a Christ-centered, 12-step program of recovery for people who struggle with any hurts, habits or hang-ups.
- Benchmark Family Services, serving Bell, Harlan, Clay, Knox, Laurel and Whitley counties, invites you to become a foster parent. Free orientation classes are held from 5 to 6 p.m. on any Tuesday. For more information, call 606-526-6992 or toll free at 866-526-6992.
- The Harlan County Humane Society will host Bingo every Tuesday and Thursday beginning at 6:30 p.m. $20 plays all games. All proceeds benefit the Humane Society.
- Enjoy a story as Ms. Elizabeth presents captivating stories and fun crafts each Thursday at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. at the Harlan County Public Library. Children of all ages are welcome.
- The Harlan County High School site-based decision-making Council meets on the second Thursday of each month at 3:15 p.m. in the HCHS Media Center.
- With Love from Harlan, a local nonprofit organization, is now providing weekend meals (except the last Sunday of each month) at Christ Church in Harlan, located across from Harlan High School. Meals are served from 2 to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Do you or someone you know need assistance shopping for food and/or household necessities? We are here to help! Call Harlan County CAA at 606-573-5331.
- Ann’s Pantry, a mission of the Harlan United Methodist Church, is in need of non-perishable food items and monetary donations. To donate, contact David Gross at 606-573-1464 or Wylene Miniard at 606-573-7731.
- The American Red Cross is seeking volunteers with flexible schedules to respond to single- and multi-family home fires in the Lake Cumberland service area, which includes Harlan, Bell, Whitley and Knox counties. Red Cross Disaster Action Team volunteers respond to assist families with shelter, support and access to basic needs immediately following a home fire — often arriving on scene even as the fire is still burning. Volunteers may apply online by visiting www.redcross.org/volunteer or by contacting Chapter Executive Terry Burkhart at 859-253-1331 or email@example.com.