HCHS graduation set for May 26
The Harlan County Board of Education set a date during their regular meeting on Thursday for the Harlan County High School graduation ceremony.
Harlan County School District Superintendent Brent Roark requested approval for the 2019 HCHS graduation to be set for May 26 at 2 p.m. The ceremony’s date was approved by board members following further discussion. The graduation ceremony will be held in the HCHS gymnasium.
In regards to other school board activity, action was taken by board members to amend the 2018-2019 school calendar.
Students will be on spring vacation April 1-5. The school year is slated to end for students on May 24.
The board approved the 2019-2020 school calendar with the first day of school for students falling on Aug. 14.
A motion was also passed to begin work on Rosspoint Elementary School’s bleachers. The bleachers are to be replaced under contract with Toadvine Enterprises. The board agreed on the delivered materials, totaling $28,040, and installation, totaling $6,338.
A bid for the replacement of Evarts Elementary School gymnasium floor was also passed in Thursday’s meeting. The total price for a full replacement is $49,174 through Cincinnati Flooring. A recommendation from Roark was heard by the board for the project. Following further discussion, a motion was made to approve the project.
In other school board activity:
• The board heard comprehensive school improvement reports from Evarts, James A. Cawood and Harlan County High School;
• The board approved pay packet three for the Harlan County High School cooling tower project. In addition, the board approved a change order in the amount of $1,434 for valve, wiring and programming for the project;
• The board made a motion to void BG 19-101 due to Kentucky Department of Education issues. The motion was passed and BG 19-272 GESC project was set to replace BG 19-101;
• The board made a motion to approve the consent agenda and action items;
• The board approved a student accident insurance quote from Roberts Insurance Plan 4 in the amount of $24,093.60.