Hounds rally for OT win in JV finals

Published 11:05 am Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Corbin rallied from a 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter to edge Harlan County 28-26 on Monday in the Southeastern Kentucky Conference junior varsity championship game at Coal Miners Memorial Stadium.

Harlan County (7-2) had success on the ground through the first three quarters and took an early lead when Ben Landis went 30 yards for a touchdown. Jay Harris connected with tight end Hunter Helton for the two-point conversion.

After Corbin had cut the deficit to two, the Bears marched down the field again. Landis raced 50 yards to set up an 11-yard touchdown run by Tyler Casolari. Harris was stopped on the two-point conversion attempt, but the Bears led 14-6 with 3:40 left in the second quarter.

Email newsletter signup

The HCHS secondary made plays to stop two Corbin drives late in the half. Nick Helton picked off a pass on the Corbin 11, then Zac Collett closed the half by breaking up a pass in the end zone.

Harlan County moved the ball well on its opening drive in the second half as Harris completed a pass to Jacob Bailey for a first down, then Landis broke free through the middle for a 42-yard touchdown run. The two-point conversion pass was incomplete, but the Bears led 20-6 with 6:16 left in the third quarter.

An interception by Casolari set up the Bears with a chance to put the game away. Dalton Johnson picked up a first down to the Corbin 16 and Landis ran eight yards to the Corbin 6 before the drive stalled.

Nick Helton broke up a pass early in the fourth quarter, then Casolari and Hunter Helton teamed for a sack, but the Redhounds were able to overcome the setbacks to score their second touchdown, cutting the deficit to 20-12 with 5:29 left.

Corbin pulled even with a 70-yard touchdown run and two-point conversion.

Harlan County drove to midfield in the final seconds after two long runs by Matt Brown before time expired.

Brown broke free on a sweep on the first play of the overtime to put HCHS ahead by six. Johnson was stopped on the two-point conversion.

Corbin scored the tying touchdown with a 7-yard run on third down, then won with a pass on the two-point conversion attempt.