Chamber Gala set for next week
Published 12:29 pm Tuesday, October 10, 2017
The Harlan County Chamber of Commerce (www.harlancountychamber.com) announced the award winners who will be honored at its annual Gala, which is presented by Appalachian Wireless. The winners highlight the best of Harlan County’s business, service, and nonprofit community, and will receive their awards at the Gala on Oct. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Harlan Center.
There were more than a dozen categories including Business of the Year, New Business of the Year, Harlan County Hero, and Entrepreneur of the Year. The Chamber received over 250 nominations for the awards. Winners include long-standing community leaders Mike Howard, Dr. Dahhan, Ray Doepel, and Preston and Polly McLain, along with newer business owners and entrepreneurs Amanda Wolfe, Leslie Bledsoe, and Travis Warf. The full list of winners includes:
• Business of the Year: Perfect Ten
• Chamber Member of the Year: Flora Asher
• Community Appearance and Beautification: Kingdom Come State Park and Park Manager Sherry Cornett
• Community Development Award: Pine Mountain Settlement School
• Excellence in Customer Service Award: Harlan Yoga and Amanda Wolfe
• Educator of the Year: Sue Lintelman, Harlan County High School Art Teacher
• Entrepreneur of the Year: Travis Warf, Benham Schoolhouse Inn
• Harlan County Hero: Upper Cloverfork Volunteer Fire Department
• Harlan Countian of the Year: Preston and Polly McLain
• Healthcare Provider of the Year: Dr. Dahhan
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Mike Howard
• Lawson-Hoskins Dedication Award: Ray Doepel
• New Business of the Year: Taco Holler
• Non-profit of the Year: The Cumberland Lions Club
• Volunteer of the Year: Leslie Bledsoe
The Gala will feature an awards banquet for local businesses and leaders, live bluegrass music, a silent auction, and plated dinner. Tickets are $35 for individuals, $65 for couples and $200 for a table of six. They can be purchased from Home Federal Bank, Kentucky Farm Bureau, or from Flora Asher, Anne Hensley or Sarah Hobbs at Harlan ARH. Tickets can also be purchased online at: http://www.harlancountychamber.com. Plan to attend as these outstanding honorees receive their awards.
Any business or individual wishing to join the Chamber of Commerce should speak with any of the board members or go to www.harlanchamber.com for membership information.
The Harlan County Chamber of Commerce meets every second Wednesday of the month upstairs at The Portal. All are welcome to attend.
• About the Harlan County Chamber of Commerce: The purpose of the Harlan County Chamber of Commerce is the improvement of the quality of life in Harlan County through the promotion and stimulation of economic, social and cultural development. As a result, we value your input and would like to invite you to meet with us on the second Wednesday of every month upstairs at the Portal Restaurant.